Medical Director, Health PlanNorth Charleston, South Carolina Job ID 1904324
Provides medical oversight and expertise in appropriateness and medical necessity of healthcare services provided to Plan members, targeting improvements in efficiency and satisfaction for patients and providers, as well as meeting or exceeding productivity standards. Educates and interacts with network and group providers and medical managers regarding utilization practices, guideline usage, pharmacy utilization and effective resource management.
• Facilitates conformance to Medicare, Medicaid, NCQA and other regulatory requirements.
• Reviews quality referred issues, focused reviews and recommends corrective actions.
• Conducts retrospective reviews of claims and appeals and resolves grievances related to medical quality of care.
• Attends or chairs committees as required such as Credentialing, P&T and others as directed by the Chief Medical Officer.
• Evaluates authorization requests in timely support of nurse reviewers; reviews cases requiring concurrent review, and manages the denial process.
• Monitors appropriate care and services through continuum among hospitals, skilled nursing facilities and home care to ensure quality, cost-efficiency and continuity of care.
• Ensures that medical decisions are rendered by qualified medical personnel, not influenced by fiscal or administrative management considerations, and that the care provided meets the standards for acceptable medical care.
• Ensures that medical protocols and rules of conduct for plan medical personnel are followed.
• Develops and implements plan medical policies.
• Provides implementation support for Quality Improvement activities.
• Stabilizes, improves and educates the Primary Care Physician and Specialty networks. Monitors practitioner practice patterns and recommends corrective actions if needed.
• Works with Contracting Department in contract negotiation.
• Fosters Clinical Practice Guideline implementation and evidence-based medical practice.
• Utilizes IT and data analysts to produce tools to report, monitor and improve Utilization Management.
• Actively participates in regulatory, professional and community activities.
• Doctorate Degree in Medicine
• Board Certified or eligible in a primary care specialty
7 - 9 years relevant experience, including:
• 5+ years clinical practice.
• 2 years previous experience as a Medical Director.
• 3 years experience in Utilization/Quality Program management.
• 2+ years HMO/Managed Care experience.
• Current clinical knowledge.
• Experience demonstrating strong management and communication skills, consensus building and collaborative ability, and financial acumen.
• Knowledge of applicable state, federal and third party regulations
Required License, Certification, Association
Current state Medical license without restrictions to practice and free of sanctions from Medicaid or Medicare.
Master's in Business Administration, Public Health, Healthcare Administration, etc.
• Peer Review, medical policy/procedure development, provider contracting experience.
Experience with NCQA, HEDIS, Medicaid, Medicare and Pharmacy benefit management, Group/IPA practice, capitation, HMO regulations, managed healthcare systems, quality improvement, medical utilization management, risk management, risk adjustment, disease management, and evidence-based guidelines.
Preferred License, Certification, Association
Board Certification (Primary Care preferred).
To all current Molina employees: If you are interested in applying for this position, please apply through the intranet job listing.
Molina Healthcare offers a competitive benefits and compensation package. Molina Healthcare is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) M/F/D/V.